How does eBay ensure consistent privacy protections globally?
Our Binding Corporate Rules ("BCR") binds eBay to protect user information consistently throughout eBay companies and vendors globally. The BCRs require eBay Entities observe the following processing principles for User Information:
- Process User Information fairly and lawfully;
- Provide notice to Users about the processing of their personal information and their rights;
- Collect User Information for specified, legitimate purposes and not process further in ways incompatible with those purposes;
- Maintain User Information in adequate and relevant ways, in relation to the purposes for which they are collected;
- Keep User Information accurate and up-to-date as reasonably possible;
- Process User Information in a way that is relevant and not excessive for the purposes which they are collected and used;
- Store User Information for as long as necessary for the Services; and
- Protect User Information with appropriate physical, technical and organizational security measures to prevent unauthorized access, unlawful processing and unauthorized or accidental loss, destruction and damage.
In addition to our BCRs, we monitor developments in global privacy regulations, such as the forthcoming GDPR regulation in Europe, and incorporate those requirements into our overall privacy program and control environment as appropriate.
What sensitive information about me does eBay process or collect?
Laws around the world define sensitive information differently. In the United States, Sensitive information is defined in state and federal law and focuses on information that could be used to commit financial fraud or identity theft. In the EU, Sensitive Personal Definition includes types of information that could be used to discriminate against an individual, for example ethnic origin or political views.
Our Binding Corporate Rules ("BCR") require us to not knowingly collect EU sensitive personal information from users or use it for our own purposes if it is voluntarily provided by users.
Financial information that is provided to us to facilitate transactions on our sites is protected by a variety of technical, organizational and physical controls. We continually review and improve our security measures, such as our efforts to migrate to using HTTPS as described here on our technology blog.
What User Information does eBay disclose, and to whom does eBay disclose it?
As described in our User privacy notice, eBay may share your personal information with third parties for a variety of reasons.
We may disclose your personal information to other members of the eBay Inc. corporate family or to third parties. This disclosure may be required for us to provide and to provide you access to our Services, to comply with our legal obligations, to enforce our User Agreement, to facilitate our marketing and advertising activities, or to prevent, detect, mitigate, and investigate fraudulent or illegal activities related to our Services.
We do not disclose your personal information to third parties for their marketing and advertising purposes without your explicit consent.
How does eBay incorporate Privacy by Design and Privacy by Default?
We have training in place to help our engineers understand the privacy and security considerations throughout the product lifecycle (design through implementation). This includes concepts such as data minimization, user transparency and choice, and privacy-respecting default settings. Checks have been embedded in our processes to validate the security controls prior to deploying products to our Users.
Further, eBay has Security and Privacy Champions programs in order to embed security privacy knowledge in our products. Our training programs are regularly updated to take account of developments in privacy and information security.
How does eBay help me stay safe online?
Here at eBay we want to help you stay safe on eBay and elsewhere on the Internet. Our Security Center provides guidance on how to protect your personal information and secure your devices and networks. It also provides resources on how to stay safe from scammers and provides resources for reporting concerns.
How does eBay ensure User Information is protected after it is shared with vendors?
How do I close my account?
To close your account on eBay or eBay-owned sites, go to the site's help pages or contact the site's customer support team. We'll remove your personal information, or make it anonymous, as soon as reasonably possible based on your account activity and in accordance with applicable law. We may delay an account closure or retain your information to conduct an investigation or if required by law.
We may also retain account information to do any of the following:
- Comply with law
- Prevent fraud
- Collect any fees owed
- Resolve disputes
- Troubleshoot problems
- Assist with investigations
- Enforce a site's terms and conditions
- Comply with legal requirements
- Take other actions otherwise permitted by applicable law
Once we no longer have a need to retain information, it is erased in accordance with our retention and deletion policies.
How do I request access or update the personal information that eBay stores about me?
You can review and update most of your personal information on the account pages of eBay or eBay-owned sites. In some cases, the sensitivity of the information prevents us from displaying it over the internet. To review this information, contact the site's customer support team.
What information does eBay collect about me, and what is eBay doing with it?
- Facilitate the service you request
- Resolve disputes
- Troubleshoot problems
- Process transactions
- Collect fees
- Measure your interest in our services
- Inform you about our other offers, products, services, and updates
- Customize your experiences
- Detect and protect eBay against error, fraud, and other criminal activity
- Enforce our terms and conditions and as otherwise described at the time of collection
I have a complaint, whom should I contact to get it resolved?
The help pages on eBay and eBay-owned sites answer many of our customers' frequently asked questions. If you still have questions after viewing our help pages or using our automated response system, please contact the site's customer support team.