With millions of transactions conducted through eBay Inc. services, we are grateful for the trust placed in our brand and online community. Building and maintaining that trust is critical for continued success and growth.
Privacy Trust Enabled by Transparency
Absent face-to-face interactions, strangers find different ways to trust each other. One way we build trust is by sharing varying levels of identifying and authenticating personal information with eBay companies and with each other. The ability to trust online is strengthened by the level of transparency we provide for our collection, use, and storage of personal information.
To better ensure trust and a consistent and optimal user experience, eBay has developed a set of Global Privacy Principles that guide our use of personal information and creation of privacy policies.
Global Privacy Principles
eBay's core privacy principles are the same worldwide.
- We share information among members of the eBay Inc. corporate family to provide content and services (like registration, transactions and customer support), to help detect and prevent potentially illegal acts and violations of our policies, and to guide decisions about products, services and communications. Members of our corporate family will use this information to send marketing communications only to members who request their services.
- We share member personal information with service providers to facilitate our business operations under confidentiality agreements. Service providers are not permitted to sell or rent the personal information we provide to them or market directly to members without the member's explicit consent.
- We share member personal information with other members as it relates to the service requested, to help facilitate transactions and to allow members to contact each other.
- We give members choices about how they wish to be contacted.
- We let members change their personal information so they can keep it up to date.
- All eBay Inc. companies are required to protect personal information in accordance with these principles.
- We believe the privacy and security of personal information is everyone's responsibility. We use industry-standard technology to protect our website and expect members to pitch in by utilizing our tutorials and technology to help manage their privacy.
For more information on our Privacy Practices, see our Binding Corporate Rules and our Privacy Policies.